TOURISM

 

HISTORICAL MONUMENTS OF SIVSAGAR (ASSAM)

The Sivsagar District possess distinct features of having many man-made pukhuri (tank), rampart, big temples etc. No other place in the North East has so much potential of tourism as Sivsagar has, but this has not been projected, publicised and show caused effectively in a proper manner. For future economic growth of the District Tourism has the great potentiality to enable the educated youth to cope with the prospective field of Tourism.

SIVSAGAR BORPUKHURI (SIVSAGAR TANK) :

Constructed by second Queen of Siva Singha Queen Ambika in 1734, covers an area of 129 acres. The present depth is about 20 cubics. On the day of 6th Bohag (April) 1735 the Tank was dedicated to Lord Siva.

SIVA DOLE :

The Siva Dole, Bishnu Dole and Devi Dole constructed by second Queen of Siva Singha known as Ambika in 1734. The Siva Dole 180 feet in height and 195 feet in diameter. It is caped by seven feet high Golden Dome.

RONGHAR:

The Ronghar was the royal sports pavilion of Ahom Kings, which was constructed during the regin of King Pramatta Singha in 1746. The royal King and his other officers witnessed several Indigenous games like wrestling, birds fight, buffalo fightt etc.

TOLATOL GHAR:

Constructed by Ahom King Rudra Singha in 1699. The present palace made of bricks and indigenous type of cement was constructed by King Rajeswar Singha. Known as seven storeyed Karengghar, the capital and military station of the Ahom kings.

PHAKUA DOLE:

This temple is situated near Ranghnath Dole, Joysagar. Constructed by Ahom King Rudra Singha in 1703-04 in the memory of his mother Sati Joymoti. There are 21 steps leading to the temple.

JOYSAGAR PUKHURI (TANK) AND TEMPLE:

Constructed by Ahom King Rudra Singha in 1697 comprising area of 318 acres of land including its four banks, in memory of his mother Sati Joymoti.

RUDRASAGAR DOLE:

Siv Temple constructed by Ahom King Lakshmi Singha on the bank of Rudrasagar pukhuri (tank). known as Napukhuri. ON the other side of Rudrasagar lies Athaisagar dugged during the reign of King Joydhawj Singha.

NAMDUNG STONE BRIDGE:

Constructed by Ahom king Rudra Singha in 1703 A.D., length 60 metres and breadth 6.5 metres, it is situated between Gaurisagar and Joysagar on the Namdung River.

GAURISAGAR PUKHURI (TANK) AND TEMPLE:

Constructed by Queen Phuleswari Konwari in the year 1723 during the reign of King Siva Singha, Comprising 150 acres of land. The Queen also constructed three temples on the bank of the tank, namely Devi Dole, Siva dole and Bishnu Dole.

GARGAON PALACE (KARENG GHAR)

The Principal capital of Ahom Kings shifted to Gargaon by Ahom King Suklengmung in 1540. In 1747 King Pramatta Singha constructed the brick wall of about 5 K.M. The Present surviving brick Palace of seven stories was rebuilt by King Rajeswar Singha in 1752.

CHARAIDEO MAIDAM:

The Tombs of King and Queen at Charaideo hillocks are comparable to the pyramids of Egypt. Charaideo was the first capital of Ahom Kingdom established by King Sui-Ka-Pha. This is also the sacred burial ground of the Kings and Queens of Ahom Kingdom.

AZAN PEER DARGAH:

The Dargah or Tomb of the 17th century famous Muslim Saint Azan Peer was built during the reign of Sargadeu Gadadhar Singha at Saraguri, where the saint with his 120 disciples propagated the Islamic tenets by composing the Zeekir, a kind of devotional song characterized by the adoption of Hindu or more properly Assamese elements into his religious faith.

BIHU OF ASSAM:

Bihu is the National Festival of Assamese people. The significance of Rongali Bihu is such that it can be given the status of a National Festival as similar celebrations are held through known by different names in different states of India. Bihu songs describes beauty, express youthful yearning, hold up excellent poetic images and give glimpses of various aspects of social life.

Courtesy: VOA Team.